Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Intelligent dogs, trainable humans

Many of you already know that I have a Tibetan mastiff bitch. She's almost two years old now, and growing up she's leaving her puppylike behaviour behind.

Well, it's been an intensive 2 years of training, I must say. There were no days same. And since I'm a very responsible dog/cat owner - or better say friend, I tried to work with her consequently. It's been (and is still) a very dynamic personality forming and reforming process between 2 humans, 2 dogs (of totally different breed and behaviour, our other is a precious terrier) and a cat. OUR FLOCK. We have a correspondant member as well: my daughter. :-)


Our flock last winter

I must say, Tibetan Mastiff is a breed you don't take it seriously, you might not only damage the dog's life, but can get damaged yourself ;-) (Some descriptions of the breed can be though a bit frightening or to some degree exaggerated, but I wouldn't say there is no truth in them!)

Yesterday evening when my bitch was lying next to me and I could feel her breath in my neck, and I was enjoying her presence so much, I started thinking about breeding her. She is beautiful and has a good temperament - would be wonderful to see how her puppies would look like. My next thought was what to do with the puppies. No matter how much I would like to keep all of them, I should find new families for them. Selling a TM-puppy is a big responsibility in my opinion. Me loving animals would not be able to see them suffer. Brummi, my dog is almost like a daughter for me, and I wouldn't just sell my grandkids to some cruel or ignorant humans!

If we ever had puppies, I would help the new owners as much as I could, because living and working with TMs is tough, especially this first 2 very intensive years. And then you can't still just leave it as it is - that would ruin your work completely.

A Tibetan Mastiff is continously a challenge - but believe me, the results are just amazing! Strong friendship, unconditioned love and warmth, a balanced body with wonderfully smooth fur (no "dogsmell"), honesty and intelligence:


Photo of Hamish taken by Wes McCrum


0 comments: